Labor And Delivery Story

It’s highly unusual to write a labor and delivery story almost a year after the whole thing happened. But at the time this blog was not active and maybe this way will give a more unique perspective. A little less emotional and more rational way. πŸ™‚ Caution – will probably get a bit TMI. πŸ™‚

The Wait

Our baby boy was born in August 2016 and he was 7 days overdue. To be honest, I was sure he will be born early, so for me he was about a month overdue. πŸ˜€ Both me and my brother were born early. He was head down from probably 30. week of pregnancy and I felt he was ready to come out mid-July, but he wasn’t. I was kind of secretly hoping he’ll be born on my grandpas birthday. πŸ™‚ But of course, you can’t force nature.

Last weeks of pregnancy were a living hell for me. πŸ™‚ It was hot, it felt like 1000Β°C πŸ˜€ At the beginning of July, when the heat started, I started retaining a lot of water and gaining a lot of weight. I had zero stretch marks but then in July my belly exploded. And it was too hot for me to even care. πŸ™‚ I lived on my couch, hugging our AC, eating watermelon and cucumbers (both of those kind of helped with the swelling).

Of course my doctor was on holidays right before my due date, the curse of summer due date. πŸ™‚ But as I went overdue I got to see her after she came back. She was monitoring me closely and she saw I was absolutely miserable. πŸ™‚ The policy in my hospital is that at 7 days overdue they admit you and then decide what to do with you. But my doctor sent me to the hospital at 6 days overdue. She said that even if they don’t admit me that day, they’ll be ready for me the next day and everything will move along faster. Nothing was happening at this point. I wasn’t dilated, I haven’t even lost my mucus plug. Nothing. For all I knew he would stay in there for eternity. πŸ™‚


The Hospital

At the hospital they hooked me up to all the machines and again determined that nothing is happening. πŸ™‚ But I was lucky that I got some young doctor. πŸ™‚ She was of course worried about my swelling and after talking with me decided to admit me, suspecting mild preeclampsia. At this point it was 5 PM so I knew that nothing was going to happen that day. But I felt more calm knowing that I was at the hospital and that he was coming out soon. My blood pressure was fine so the doctor on the actual maternity ward ruled out preeclampsia. So I decided to rest for the night, I watched some Netflix. Looking back I feel like my body knew something will be happening soon.

During the night I woke up about a hundred times, like always, to go pee (downside of eating only watermelon πŸ™‚ ). At about 4 AM I woke up and honestly thought I peed myself a little bit. πŸ™‚ But I soon figured out that my water broke. I was so happy that it was finally starting and that it started naturally.

The doctor checked me again, confirmed that my water broke and told me that if I don’t have the baby sooner they’ll bring me to delivery room at about noon. I honestly feel like that day I was driving on instinct. I decided I won’t even call my husband at this point and try to sleep as much as possible. God, it was a right decision! πŸ™‚

As soon as my water broke my contractions started, but were at about 15 minutes apart. But I can’t say they weren’t painful. In the morning the doctor checked me again and I wasn’t dilating much, I don’t even thing I was at 1 cm after about 4 hours. She told me to walk around and that they’ll move me to delivery room after lunch. At this point I called the husband and told him to rest until lunch and then come to the hospital. πŸ™‚

Now my contractions started getting more and more painful, but were still about 12 minutes apart. They were so painful that I couldn’t walk during the contraction any more. Most of my pain was concentrated in my back and it was a little hell I was in. πŸ™‚ When I was a child I had an accident and I broke my back. It healed well, but now it hurt like the baby was coming out through my spine. πŸ˜€

Delivery Room

After lunch the nurse finally came to take me to the delivery room. But now I had to move myself and my luggage from one room to the next that was 2 floors lower while having contractions, fun times. πŸ™‚ When I came down to the delivery ward I was checked again and now after about 9 hours since my water broke I was at 1,5 cm. :-/

When I was ready and taken to the delivery room my husband was allowed to join me. But now in the delivery room I wasn’t allowed to walk around any more because they hooked me to all the machines again. And at this point things get a little blurry. πŸ™‚ The pain got a lot worse because I had to stay in bed. And I wasn’t progressing much.

After a while they administered pitocin I think and then I started progressing. My contractions did get stronger, but I don’t think it hurt any more than before. I didn’t get an epidural. I did get a pain management thing, but I forgot how it was called. πŸ™‚ Basically it’s a drug administered to your blood. It works for a very short time and you administer it yourself. You get a remote and push away. πŸ™‚ It has a blockage of course, it only administers medicine every few minutes. But mentally it helps so much to just press that button all the time. πŸ™‚ For me pain management was partly for pain and partly because I knew that I still had to push that baby out and I had zero energy left. So now I could snooze away for those short minutes during the contractions.

I need to say this. I had the best midwives I could wish for. My boy was born a little before midnight so I was in the delivery room for almost 12 hours. In this time nurses and midwives changed, of course. And all of them gave me just what I needed. They were supportive, but knew what was good for me. At some point I think I told one of them that I can’t do this any more. And she told me: “Come on, you were made for this!” πŸ™‚ And also all the props to my husband. This poor thing. I was kind of mean to him. πŸ™‚ I honestly didn’t know what will help me and what won’t. So I was like: “Massage my back.” and then two minutes later: “Stop touching me.” πŸ˜€ He was perfect. I love that he was there and I don’t know how I would have done it alone.


Back to the story. πŸ™‚ My boy was born a few minutes before midnight. As I pushed his head out everything was going perfectly, I didn’t tear, nothing. Everything was perfect until it wasn’t…

The Baby Is Here

As the baby was coming out, he didn’t turn properly. His shoulder got stuck and as I pushed him out he broke his collar bone. And I tore. Bad.

They gave me the baby for like a minute, but then they gave him to the daddy and started working on me again. Here I got lucky again. There was a plastic surgeon on call that night. She and two other doctors came and started stitching me up. It must have looked bizarre. πŸ™‚ When the surgeon came she asked me, if I can take it if they don’t move me to the OR. Tears like that heal good, but only if they are stitched up good and fast. All I told her was to give me back my remote and start. πŸ™‚ Honestly I felt no pain at this point. I was tired and I lost quite a lot of blood.

So three doctors and god knows how many nurses gather around and stitch me up. I think I slept through half of it, I only woke now and then to press my precious remote. πŸ™‚ The baby was happily bonding with his daddy, they were allowed to stay in the room with me and I was fine.

You would think that this is about as much as it can happen in one labor and delivery story. πŸ™‚ Nope. πŸ™‚

After you give birth you stay in the delivery room for a few hours that are the most critical. They observe the mother and the baby if everything is fine. And now all the exhaustion and blood loss and drugs and lack of food hit me. I started throwing up. I think this was worse than everything that happened before. Literally minutes ago a baby came out of me, I was stitched back together and now I’m puking. I felt like I was pushing my insides right out, breaking all of those nice stitches. For a while the doctors were worried but I calmed down. And at about 4 AM they finally moved us to the bedroom and the husband went home.

First Day

I’ll take more time to talk about my recovery in another post. I’ll just run through our first day.

Whatever that surgeon did, she did perfectly. I was a little sore, but I was able to sit normally (and that for an injury like mine is a miracle). I lost a lot of blood. And in the morning I of course over did it and fainted. But by the evening I was doing good. I was a little shaky but nothing that I couldn’t handle. I had a perfect little boy and I could do it all again that second if I needed to.

Looking Back

I don’t think I ever went and put into words what was happening in those days. I love that I did that now. πŸ™‚

It was painful. But I don’t remember the pain, I honestly don’t. It was uncomfortable. And in a way it was, for lack of a better word, freeing and humbling. Now thinking back I feel like I was on autopilot for that two days. And I’m glad I was.

There are many things I wish would have happened differently. Maybe I’ll put them in another post all together. But there are also a lot of decisions I am glad about. I’m glad that I didn’t have an epidural. I love that my husband was there for all of it, from my bitching to the baby destroying my body. πŸ™‚ I’m glad that I chose this hospital because I don’t think I would have been so lucky and my recovery would probably be longer. But most of all I’m so happy we decided to have this baby. And even thought I know now how it goes I don’t fear going through it again. Of course I’m not pregnant again yet… πŸ™‚ More than the labor I fear another pregnancy and another long wait. πŸ™‚

But that little human is worth all of it. ❀



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s